Moving House Checklist – Top Tips To Help You Move
Moving House Checklist – The Guide You Need
When moving house, you can’t start preparing one week before the big move and expect everything to go well and smooth. You have to start preparing with at least six to eight weeks before you actually move out.
With such an extended period of time, it means that you have a lot of things to do in order to ensure a proper move. In this respect, we present to you our moving house checklist.
Here is everything that you should do when moving houses!
Six to Eight Weeks Before Moving
Even though quite early in the moving process, this is when you will take care of some of the most important things, namely:
- Plan and compare moving transportation services – friends, truck rental, or hiring movers. Make sure to compare multiple movers before you choose one.
- Create a folder where you will keep a record of everything related to the move – such as inventory, receipts, and so on.
- If needed, look into storage facilities.
- Have your mail redirected or fill out a Change of Address form online or at a post office.
- Plan and design the space you have.
- Pack boxes properly – before this, acquire any packing materials, such as labels, markers, and so on.
- Plan and schedule any repairs to your current home.
- If you have to get rid of a lot of stuff, then you should contact the local council and plan rubbish pick up.
Two to Four Weeks Before Moving
This is the time when the move seems closer than ever, mainly because you will start disconnecting utilities and take time off work to finish all the preparations.
- Manage any necessary agreements with moving transportation.
- Schedule the disconnection of utilities at your old home and plan the connection of utilities at your new home.
- Make sure to discontinue any kind of automated payment plans, delivery services, and local memberships.
- Change contact details – especially with your lawyer, banks, license, and insurance.
- Create an inventory list of the items you have.
- Start packing any non-essential items.
- Identify the valuable items and label them accordingly for separate transfer.
- Store jewelry, legal documents, and any other valuable items in a safe or at the bank.
- Confirm the time of settlement with your conveyancer/lawyer.
- Take time off work for the big day – the moving day.
One to Four Days Before Moving
- Plan the day of the move so that you don’t waste any time on the spot.
- Plan when and how to pick up the truck if it is rented.
- Make sure that any essential tools will be handy during and after the move.
- Pack a bag of snacks, essentials, documents, and water bottles to help you “survive” until you settle in.
- Clean your soon-to-be former home!
The Moving Day
- Make sure to leave nothing behind.
- Leave your contact information for the new residents, in case they have questions.
- All of your important items should be carried with your personal vehicle.
- Lock the windows, the doors, make sure the lights are off and return the keys if you have to do so.
Once you arrive at your new home, you should first check if the utilities are working properly. Then, clean the kitchen and vacuum every spot that will be soon taken by furniture.
In preparation for the following days, assemble the beds as soon as possible. Then, when you feel comfortable enough, you can start unpacking – we recommend you begin with the kitchen items, then the bathroom ones, and then any essentials.
The Bottom Line
Moving houses may not be that easy – but it is quite fun, especially if you manage to get over the fact that you’ll have to pack literally everything in your house.
However, moving houses also means that your home loan has been approved and that you will be soon living in the home of your dreams. Thus, you can endure six to eight weeks of preparation!
Feel free to contact our office if you have any questions or need more information in terms of moving houses. Also, if you need any help with your home loan or you want to find a lender, just reach out to us and we’ll make sure to find you the best possible offers! Contact us on on 02 9121 6247 or submit your scenario online.
So, why use Highline Lending for your home loan?
We meet for a consultation, obtain your supporting documents and proceed to structure and package your application for approval knowing exactly what the banks want to see. We also monitor your home loan post approval ensuring you’re home loan suits you and your financial position
We get paid a commission from our lenders as a result of introducing your business to them. Subsequently, our service is at no cost to you. Our commission does not affect your interest rate whatsoever, if anything, we’re in a position to get you a lower interest rate than the general public due to our relationships with our banks
With our many years experience in the industry, we’ve been exposed to both easy and complex loan scenarios. Each loan we process gets presented to over sixty financial institutions, ensuring we have explored all options possible and are able to provide a solution